Prey is a Windows utility that allows users to track and recover a stolen computer. There are tools for automatically taking screenshots and webcam photos, which can be helpful in identifying the thief or recovering missing data. It is worth mentioning that the free version of Prey has limited functionality.
Real time tracking
Similar to TrackView, you can view the current position of the device on the map. An option to set up geofences around specific locations is included. The software will send email or SMS notifications if the computer enters or leaves a fenced area.
Instruments for remotely locking the OS, wiping the hard drive and sending text messages to the stolen PC are provided. This way users are able to prevent leaks of confidential information and contact the person in possession of the device.
It is possible to configure custom alarms. You can receive notifications if a device is lost or changes location unexpectedly.
There is an option to generate detailed activity reports at predefined intervals. Users are able to monitor the position and status of all linked devices over time.
- contains instruments for tracking stolen or lost computers;
- free to download and use;
- you can send text messages to the stolen device;
- it is possible to remotely wipe data from the hard drive;
- allows users to monitor the current computer location in real time;
- compatible with modern versions of Windows.